boat paddle ukuleles

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Interview:  Aaron Keim  Beansprout Banjo Ukuleles
  This is the first in a series of short interviews with current banjo ukulele Luthiers.  I first noticed Aaron's fine instruments on You Tube when I was searching for a tutorial on the clawhammer or Frailing technique.


Below is one of his videos on the clawhammer style.  This technique works very well on the banjo uke as well as the ukulele.

I noticed Aaron's banjo ukes have a robust, clear tone and became interested in them.  Here is a link to his website.   http://thebeansprout.com/Beansprout/Welcome.html  also, here is his Two Chord Songbook:
             http://www.etsy.com/listing/52838977/two-chord-songbook-handbound-collection

The photo gallery has pictures of his entire banjo uke line.
Here is the interview:

1.  Did you start right out on the Banjo Ukulele or was there a period of design and experimentation? 
I made two prototypes that had laminated cherry rims and mahogany necks.  then i made two more with the maple block rims and maple necks.  after that I got started with a batch of 10, just how I wanted them.
 
2.  Did you make other instruments before the banjo uke , and if so in any numbers?
I have made one mandolin, two guitars, 5 five string banjos, 90 banjo ukes and 75 or so regular ukes.
 
3.  What convinced you that you could produce a superior banjo ukulele?
well, even the good vintage ones were missing the mark on major modern design issues such as geared tuners, comfortable sized necks, good setups, correct intonation, careful fretwork, etc...all I did was bring the banjo uke up to proper luthiery standards!  there were a couple of other luthiers doing the same thing around the same time as me, but I seemed to beat them to the punch as far as marketing and sales go.


 
4.  How long have you been using reclaimed wood and is it more stable than kiln dried stock?  Does Myrtle provide a unique sound quality? 
-I have been using reclaimed wood for about 3 years.  almost all of it is so old that is has dried out long ago!  I think myrtle is halfway between koa and mahogany and I really like how it sounds.
 
          6.  Are any new models in the works?
-I am working on a new five string banjo and focusing on my collaboration with Gordon and Char of Mya-Moehttp://www.myamoeukuleles.com/black%20stripe%20series.html  I would like to get a soprano banjo uke with a 7 inch pot going, but I haven't found the time yet!
 
7.  Do you make custom or special order instruments?
Not really.  I am willing to alter some basic things about my designs, but I am not a true custom builder like Mike DaSilva.  I am a simple luthier and I stick to what I am good at.
 
8.  Can you tell me a little about the Renaissance heads that you include with your instruments?
They sound like skin heads but are louder, warmer and more consistent.  Also, they are not affected by climate changes.
 
           9.  I understand that your method of frailing (drop thumb) has reached a lot of players in the EU.  Are you excited to have been so influential abroad?
Yeah, that is pretty cool!  I wish I could tour over there, I haven't had the chance yet!  (except for a festival in Italy)
 
         10.  Are you still active with your music ensemble and do you tour?
Yes, I play about 100 shows a year with Boulder Acoustic Society and about 30 under my own name (The Quiet American)  
www.boulderacousticsociety.com
www.quietamericanmusic.com 
11.  Have you considered making a piccolo banjo?

I have made a couple of banjo ukes with 5 strings tuned cgceg.  I guess that counts as a piccolo banjo!

                              Thanks Aaron!  I am looking forward to that 7" rim.  

No comments: